Thursday, January 23, 2014

50+, 25-30, 15-20, 5-10, 6 or less. (Words that is.) #2

     The majority of grown men who fish do not appreciate chubby ten year old girls telling them matter of factly that they're filleting improperly-- which I did, many times,"There'll be bones in the walleye if you do it like that."  I'd say from the doorway of the fish cleaning house- as we called it. 
    It sat in the gully away from the office and cabins because fish smell-- they smell even worse when they're dead-- a bucket of their guts often resting in a corner.
    I loved to watch people clean fish; there's an art to doing it correctly, preserving the most meat, the best filet. 
    When the rusty old screen door slammed, I'd go running down to the stinky old building.
    Then after they left squeeze the swim bladders in my fingers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment