Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Loud Pipes Irritate Lives

I'm home.
We're all home.
Or at least we should be if we have the choice, because there is literally a pandemic happening and we're spreading it by acting like selfish assholes.  Which, you know, is unfortunately pretty par for the American course.
So I'm home, it's a beautiful day and we have all the windows open despite living in a corner house with a stop sign in front, which, for who the fuck knows what reason, is apparently optional for about thirty percent of those who pass by.  This means there's a lot of honking, there've been four accidents since we moved in, and even some of the people who actually stop at the sign, choose to squeal out while also blasting music on speakers that literally set off car & house alarms.  Sometimes, this is so startling that I get little flashbacks of past, unrelated traumas in my body and feel angry or sick or confused.  Which needless to say, blows.
For this reason, I decided to make a tasteful but not too bourgie-sounding sign asking people to please not do that inconsiderate shit.  My sign was maybe two feet high, white with black painted lettering, I attached it to the pole of the stop sign with some wire, and it said, "PLEASE DON'T DRIVE LIKE A JERK!"  Not just because I'm sick of PTSD flashbacks while gardening for the benefit of some tire-squealing stranger jerk, but also because lots of kids live in this neighborhood and I swear I see a lost/found dog posting on NextDoor daily.  It felt reasonable when I made it, all things considered but it's possible "please don't drive like a jerk!" in all caps was a bit much. I thought about this a significant amount however and here was my logic:
The people who are driving like total assholes, are probably used to seeing and disregarding the "Slow Children Playing" signs.
(I take issue with these because there should be a comma after "slow," otherwise it conveys an entirely different message!)
But this led me to thinking more about the type of person who squeals their tires at a stop sign in a residential neighborhood at 1pm, 4pm, 11pm, 2am, 4am, 6am, 9am...  Based on the types of vehicles that do this and my guesses at their drivers' mental states, levels of social emotional intelligence, self-awareness, and what would get their attention & consideration, "PLEASE DON'T DRIVE LIKE A JERK!" was what I decided upon.  Also considering what my neighbors would accept and not be offended by.
I put my sign up around 10:30am on a Thursday, by 2:30pm my partner had watched an older man in an older giant SUV stop, get out, look at the sign, remove it, and put it in his back seat.
I put my second, nearly identical sign in the same spot around 4:30 that same day, and by 10:30 it also was gone.

I'm pretty mystified about why, to be perfectly honest, this message is unacceptable so someone/s.  I can guess at reasons, but when it comes down to the sentiment and the fucking abhorrent driving people choose to partake in thirty feet from my literal front door, I just don't understand.  I considered making one more sign with a differently worded plea like, "please drive safely," or "children playing," or "drive like you live here," but ultimately decided not to because I was frustrated for multiple days, by the other two being taken and am not so much interested in repeating that.    
...
So, I found some plain, black, label making stick-on letters and decided I would use the stop sign to my advantage.  I cut out letters for the word "please" which I planned to place above the "STOP" on the sign.  Then I cut out letters for "driving," and "crazy," to put below "STOP."  Yes, I know it's technically illegal to actually do this, which is part of why the sticker letters are still sitting on the side table next to our couch.  But God damn it!  Maybe I'm just old now and feeling very "get off my grass!!" but I pay a decent amount of money to live in my home, it's my first, I care for & repair it, I improve it, I love it quite a lot, and I just don't want my dog, my partner, or anyone/thing else to be struck, right outside my house, by some shitbag trying to improve their sense of self-worth by owning a completely unnecessarily loud-ass car and driving it as if they are the only human in existence.  I have enough trauma in my past, thank you so very much.
Too much to ask?
#TMTA?


(While typing this (about an hour), I heard three sets of cars honk at each other for not stopping, three with excessively loud pipes, more than I could count going way too fast, and one tire squeal.)

No comments:

Post a Comment